About the Children...
- Are generally between the ages of 7 and 14
- Are mostly singles, with possible sibling groups
- Sibling groups must be hosted together
- Recommended for participation by their orphanage staff
- Travel to the United States on a tourist visa and must return to their country on a pre-determined date at the closing of the host program
- Are accompanied by one or more escorts from their home country who are their legal guardians while they are in the United States.
Host Family Requirements
Prior to hosting a child, you must agree to:
- Complete an application to host, and other forms as requested
- Complete a mini-homestudy and child abuse clearance and criminal check
- Attend mandatory host family preparation session
- Attend weekend events (when scheduled) to allow the children to interact with other children and the escort
- Provide children with (or participate in) recreational/educational activities during their visit
- Assist with hosting the escort during the visit
- Sponsor the child’s trip ($2700)
- Provide necessities such as food, clothing, hygiene items to the child/ren during the visit
- Couples and single women can host
- Host families should reside in a state near on the eastern coast of the United States in the region spanning from Florida up to Maine. (ME, VT, NH, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, DE, MD, PA, DC, VA, WV, NC, SC, KY, GA, and FL). Please contact us regarding your specific location if there is a question.
Although it has been our experience that some families fall in love with their host child and move forward to adopt, Open Hearts and Homes is not an adoption agency. Your role as a host family is to provide your host child with a safe, nurturing environment and to introduce them to family life and culture in America.
For more information, please contact one of our Volunteer Coordinators.
Children Available for Hosting
To view the children currently available for hosting, you must register with Open Hearts and Homes using the link below.
Open Hearts and Homes Website Registration